My mission to go bespoke

mercredi 28 octobre 2015

I decided recently that I have had it with searching for hours (even days) through OTR choices, often to come away empty-handed, and if I do find something, it often has to be tailored and often comes from a sweat shop in China, regardless of the brand or price. Usually I know what I want but can't find it. Having bespoke clothing made only crossed my mind recently because I am currently in a cheap labour country, so I looked into the options and was pleasantly surprised at the prices - most bespoke options here are the same or sometimes much cheaper than OTR branded goods. From a price and fit point of view, there is no contest. However... the main problem seems to be finding the right fabrics. I'm not talking about the typical collection of dress shirt fabrics from Thomas Mason, for example, but more interesting choices for smart casual shirts. Can't find them anywhere!

So, I am starting with two dress shirts, which are being made right now at two different tailors which I wanted to try out. Both shirts using high end fabric (Thomas Mason and Albini). One will be $100, and the other $150. Should have them both in a few weeks.

I am also making 2 belts. I have bought solid titanium buckles which I like, and will soon go to a leather supplier to pick out the brown and black leather which I need, then go to a local leather worker who I already found to put it all together for $20.

I looked into bespoke shoes but there are simply no good options in this country, and as a shoemaker needs several visits from the customer, an overseas maker seems impractical. I will have to stick to OTR, though I have learned quite a bit about shoes recently from this forum and other and will stick to proper GY constructed shoes made in England (or possibly Europe).

Next on the list is a suit, but one step at a time. I am learning that this is fun and can achieve better results for less money, but it is certainly not a fast process!
My mission to go bespoke

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire