Help form my opinion of how burnished shoes should look

mardi 29 septembre 2015

As I grow older, I've started to learn that my dislikes are often colored by limited prior experience, and if I open my mind, my preconceived ideas are often mistaken. With that statement as a background, I own a few pairs of burnished shoes, and to my eye, the coloring looks streaky and haphazard. Since they are seconds, I assumed that was the nature of the beast, and I assumed it was the defect. However, after reviewing pictures of firsts, I'm reconsidering my opinion.allenedmonds_shoes_cornwallis_1055_walnut.jpgallenedmonds_shoes_fifth-avenue_bourbon.jpg

These shoe pictures (taken directly from the AE first quality website) seem streaky and blotchy, too. The first pair (Cornwallis) looks to have a bit of dark color on the side of the heel, then a patch of dark just before the vamp flares out. (I'm aware that the toe normally gets an extra darkening burnish, so I won't mention it.) Its my understanding that burnishing is accomplished by lightly maneuvering a pair of shoes around a dying/polishing roto-tool which applies the darker shade, thus allowing the coloring to be ultimately controlled by hand (and open to error.) It seems quite plausible to me that the machine operator would start by burnishing the heel and then move toward the toe, and in the process get a dark spot where the vamp extends on the side if they didn't keep a constant distance between the leather and the roto-tool. In fact, this is the main area on my own burnished shoes that seem to be darkest, either splotchy or streaky.
In the second picture (fifth aves), the side of the heel seems to be darkest, and then stripes seem to appear through the quarter. It appears to be darker along the base of the shoe near the welt, too, but that may simply be lighting.
To me, the attached pictures dont look normal, but as I mentioned previously, its quite possible that my expectations are simply not accurate. Are these pictures what I should expect from burnished shoes, or are there better examples of finished products?
Help form my opinion of how burnished shoes should look

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire