Pattern matching of large scale asymmetric patterns

dimanche 27 décembre 2015

I saw an older gentleman in church today wearing a plaid coat, and the back seam immediately caught my eye as the pattern was not centered upon it. Looking up to the collar, I was shocked to see that the pattern there matched both back panels, like this. It dawned on me that this was an asymmetric plaid, unlike tartans that are mirror images of themselves with every pattern repetition. Furthermore, the scale was considerable, with a good six inches or more between repeating elements.

This was something that had never occurred to me before. One thought I had was that one side of the fabric could be turned upside down, resulting in a matchbook veneer look, centered and mirrored. But that might screw up the matching of the horizontal elements. And it does nothing for the collar situation. I must assume that lapels end up with different parts of the pattern on each sidewith such a fabric.

I wish that I could find some decent photos to illustrate the point, but I've scoured through pages of image results to no avail.
Pattern matching of large scale asymmetric patterns

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire