Advice Needed--New Suit

vendredi 25 décembre 2015

First, to those it applies to, however it applies: Merry Christmas! And to the rest, happy whatever you may be celebrating, even if it's just a day off work.

I need a little advice: My wife just gave me a voucher for a custom suit from Indochino's "Premium" line. Now I know some of you probably just grimaced--but my understanding is they've upgraded quite a bit in the last few years. Andy's Indochino suit he shows off in his thread of two summers ago looks great to me. And their site states all their suit jackets "are half canvassed, with fully fused fronts"--whatever that means. At least there's some canvassing, which is rare at this price (sale around $400).

Besides, it's a done deal; the wife had some Gilt credit to use up. And given that I've never had even an MTM suit before, this will have to be the best-fitting one in my closet--if all goes according to plan. I wear a suit maybe 3 times a year, if that, and I'm upgrading from Abboud and Calvin Klein.

My question: Should I go to a showroom for a fitting or get a local tailor to measure me? The wife wants us to drive up to get me measured at the showroom in Philly (where there's other shopping nearby for her). But this comment below (from a review linked here) says the company's master computer replaced the correct measurements taken at the NYC showroom with wrong ones:

But after checking the website for an update I realized that my suit was on hold because the sleeve was too short for my body type. This warning had been there for a week without anyone reaching out to me. When I called I offered to go into the showroom to be measured but they said it was not a problem. When a called a week later to complain what was taking so long, the response was you do not have to get the suit and you can have you money back. WOW. At this point, I would just wait to see what was going to happened.

When the suit finally showed up ... it was huge all over. The explanation was that the sizes that were sent were probably changed by the computer the company uses. So why even take them in the first place? A remake had to be made but instead of taking new measurements, the gentlemen at the showroom, used the ill-fitting suit as a template (he did take pictures) and just deducted from there. After checking the measurements that are online currently, they still seem to big compared to new measurements that I took on my own.

I don't want some know-nothing kid taking my measurements. I'd rather pay a local tailor $15. But I really don't want the master computer overriding the measurements I provide.

Anyone have any thoughts? Or firsthand experience with Indochino?

Thanks very much!
Advice Needed--New Suit

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire